Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Vendor Spotlight - Nomeda Baronas - Cakes by Nomeda

A wedding cake can be one of the most important parts of your wedding day and a focal point of your reception. Having moved from Lithuania, a small European country on the Baltic Sea, Nomeda Baronas brought to the Tampa Bay area her mastery of the patisserie craft. Take a look at this weeks vendor spotlight with Nomeda from Cakes by Nomeda!





A: How did you start your cake business?
N: I started making cakes in Lithuania after I graduated from the University of Kaunas. I always loved baking and cooking. I also have a passion for art and painting. The two seemed to go well together!

A: How long have you been working in the wedding industry?
N: I have been making wedding cakes for about 20 years.

A: Where does your inspiration come from?
N: I love everything nature. Color combinations and shapes in nature are true and amazing.

A: How would you describe your personal "style"?

N: I would say it's definitely modern, uncluttered and elegant. I love hand painted cakes.  



A: What keeps you passionate about making cakes?
N: Creating something new every time. Every couple is different. Hence, every cake is unique.
 
A: How do you stand out from other local cake vendors?
N: Although I bake American style cakes, I am mostly known for my European cakes. They are quite popular. In Lithuania, flavor is the most important part of the cake.


A: What is your favorite part about your career?

N: I meet lots of wonderful couples. Creating something unique just for them is quite rewarding. 


A: What is the biggest "mistake" made when people choose their cake?
N: Trying to combine too many design styles in one cake and wanting too many colors.

A: What advice do you have for future brides who are going through the "sweet" decision process?

N: Keep it classy and elegant no matter what the theme is. 

A: Are you seeing any emerging trends in the cake industry? Of these trends, which do you think will stick around for a while?
N: Cake trends change very quickly. It is great that pinterest is providing tools for brides to see what's new and exciting. Textured cakes with ruffles, petals, ribbons and such are quite "in" right now. It's hard to say what will stay.

A: What is the process like once a prospective client contacts you to design their cake?

N: When we meet for a tasting I usually have about a dozen different flavors on the plate. They choose the cake flavor(s) and then we design their cake. They might bring me a picture of the cake they like and want the exact one or we might design it from scratch. 


A: What is the most important question every couple should ask you before they hire Cakes by Nomeda?
N: I think every question is an important one. After all it's their wedding. They should ask anything even if they think it might be a silly request. I will then do my best to offer my advice.


A: What is the most challenging aspect of your job?

N: Most people would assume it is the design of the cake.  For us, that's a snap!  The challenging part is getting it delivered and set up so that it is just perfect.  You don't yet a second chance to get this right! 

A: What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?

N: Getting a note from a couple after a wedding. Nothing is better than to know they liked what you created.


A: Can you tell us your most memorable experience?

N: We have been fortunate to have so many wonderful responses from brides that it would be hard to pick one out.      

A: What is your favorite flavor of cake/icing you make?
N: My signature cake with coconut filling.


A: What are five things you could not do your job without?

N: My extremely helpful family, competent wedding coordinators, accommodating staff at reception venues, on-time florists and smiling brides.  


-Written by Alison Stenger, Senior Coordinator

No comments: